: HOME  |  Privacy Policies  |  Frequently Asked Questions  |  Training

Privacy Forms - HCCs |  Privacy Information - Patients/Pacientes  

   Additional Information  |  Contact Information

YOU ARE HERE : HOME / HIPAA Frequently Asked Questions / HIPAA FAQ 1

1. What are these common HIPAA terms: "BA", "CE" and "TPO"?

BA –“BA” stands for “Business Associate” – a person or entity not employed by the University that provides certain functions, activities, or services for or on behalf of the University that involve the use and/or disclosure of the University's Protected Health Information. Such activities may include, but are not limited to, billing; repricing; claims processing and administration; data analysis; legal, accounting, actuarial, consulting, utilization review and quality assurance; and similar services or functions. A Business Associate may be a Covered Entity. (The definition of a Business Associate excludes a person who is part of the Covered Entity’s workforce.)

CE –“CE” stands for a “Covered Entity” and refers to the entities to which the Privacy Regulations apply. There are 3 types of covered entities: (1) health plans; (2) health care clearinghouses; and (3) health care providers who transmit any health information in electronic form in connection with one of the HIPAA standard transactions. The University is a hybrid Covered Entity.

TPO – "TPO" stands for Treatment, Payment, and Operations. PHI may be disclosed to authorized individuals for TPO without patient authorization.

Return to FAQ List

TOP ^  

The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center

Office of Compliance
P. O. Box 26901
Oklahoma City, OK 73129
Phone: (405) 271-2511, (866) 836-3150
Fax: (405) 271-1076

Copyright © 2014 The Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer | Copyright